Monday, January 13, 2014

1/13/2014: thought for the day

I often compare myself too much to others in many ways: my style, hair, makeup, figure, grade point average, skills, progress, success, you name it! One thing that I will never seem to get over (anytime soon) is how smart I am. the word "smart" holds many definitions, so it depends on the eye of the beholder as to what "smart" really means. I would define smart as a characteristic that a person has gained through past experiences and studies, but who can then outshine every person in the room when it comes to scoring well on a test. I, on the other hand, was not the best test - taker in high school. Actually, tests stressed me out; tests were my enemy. The only tests that I was not afraid to take were my Spanish tests because I liked Spanish. I always wanted to do well and when I didn't, I would beat myself up over it. In honors biology, when my name wouldn't make it up on the board for a ninety percent or above, I felt humiliated because then everyone would know that you got a B, or worse, an F. To this day, I constantly ask myself why I am not succeeding as well or as fast as others, or why I am not able to perform the same tasks that another person is. I've come to a simple conclusion: I can. We seem to grow up in a society that tells us we can do anything we want when we grow up, yet the question contains doubt that we could be anything we want. So, instead of comparing myself to so many others, I've realized that there's nothing stopping me (just my occasional self-doubt) from doing just as well as they seem to be doing.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your post brought back many memories and I agree tests are also my enemy. I have also felt humiliated when my name was not put on the board for A's on a test. I am also working hard on not trying to compare myself to so many others but agree it is hard that takes constant work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! It is so difficult to not compare ourselves to others. It is so true that we seem to hold ourselves back more than anyone else does.

    ReplyDelete