Tuesday, February 4, 2014

All the same

Rich vs. poor. Mac vs. HP. Brown vs. blonde. Slim vs. large. Black vs. white. Pale vs. tan. Popular vs. unpopular. Trailer vs. mansion. Fast food vs. gourmet. Fast vs. slow. Intelligent vs. unintelligent. Educated vs. uneducated. Disabled vs. stable. Homeless vs. sheltered. Kind vs. unkind. Thoughtful vs. selfish. Giver vs. taker. Talkative vs. quiet. Negative vs. positive. Complainers vs. "keep-it-in-ers". Dreamer vs. do-er. differences are what make you unique; what others know you by. If differences are supposed to be a good characteristic, why do we see them as negative differences? "Oh, she talks too much. I don't like that." "He's a little on the heavy side." "They live in a trailer? That's too bad." None of these things are bad, just things that are part of who we are. Sometimes I'm quiet, but sometimes I'm talkative. Sometimes I'm thoughtful, but other times, I'm selfish. Why do we judge others negatively, based on their differences? Differences are the best characteristic that makes someone memorable, whether you remember them in a good way or a bad way. I'm not rich, but I'm rich in love and support. I'm more slow than fast. I grew up in a trailer, not a mansion. BUT, I'm not disabled, homeless, nor unintelligent because I've had the advantage not to be all of those things. However, if I were all of those things, would I be seen differently? Maybe. Would I be judged? Definitely. Why do we do that? I don't like that. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. We SHOULDN'T do that. In the end, take away everything you own, and you are no better than the homeless man panhandling on the sidewalk. We're all the same.

6 comments:

  1. "I'm not rich, but I'm rich in love and support." What a beautiful perspective lens through which to view your life and guide your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very deep. Nice job Katie. This was an awesome post and a feel good for a Tuesday morning. Thanks for the post! p.s. Stay different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This same thing has been on my mind!! I'm noticing in my 5th grade class how many students are mean to each other over something they cannot help. I wonder why kids judge, but then I look at parents and some adults who do the same thing and teach their children. I never judge. I give everyone the same opportunity. I don't understand why others can't do the same. Very good point this morning Katie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this Katie! Bullying has become such a problem and there is absolutely no excuse for it. We must show tolerance for our friends, family, peers, and everyone else around us. Thank you for this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet and thoughtful post! It's crazy how quickly we are to scrutinize the differences of others as if it affects who they are. Really when someone judges it says more about that person than the one they're judging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another wonderful post! I especially liked your last sentence because it is the reason why I have helped so many homeless because in the end as you said we are all the same. Not only are we all the same we are all brothers and sisters in Christ who should help each other not judge.

    ReplyDelete