Tuesday, February 25, 2014

No class for me!

Welp, this post title says it all. I simply will not be in class today. We had quite an eventful evening in addition to an eventful morning. This morning, we slept 10 minutes past our alarm and had eight minutes to get out the door to catch the bus - that was a first. However, last night was the real adventure. My husband and I were on the bus home and we were about to go down the mountain into Pendleton. We had a temporary driver who was filling in for our regular driver, so he did things a bit differently. One thing was that he kept the inside lights on all the way back to Pendleton, which made it difficult for passengers to see outside of the bus. As we reached the peak of Cabbage hill, I heard the bus driver mumble something. I looked up to catch what he said and I saw our bus being engulfed by tons of brake lights. No one around us was moving. Then, I heard 7 loud bangs and a couple choice words from the driver. I was in shock and I had no idea what was going on, but I soon figured out that we had just gotten into a fender - bender. "BAM!" Another loud crash behind us had occurred. The best way I could describe our accident was that we were like a pinball going through a pinball machine. Our bus was going through a tunnel of cars and hitting nearly each one on the way through. Our outside mirrors were gone and the side of the bus was thoroughly scraped. Firefighters and cops eventually made their way through the accumulated pile - up of cars to check on everyone involved in the scene. We waited on the mountain for two hours until we were finally able to go down at a fast rate of 5 mph. As we began to move, we came across the accident that had caused the pile - up/traffic jam. There were 2 semi trucks that had slid and were skewed on the highway and there was one that had almost gone completely over the mountain with just its tail end sticking up, clinging to the edge of the guardrail. Just beyond that (a few feet) there was a small car that had been totaled in the front with a large, shattered hole in the windshield on the passenger side, which meant that someone's head had gone through the window. Everyone on the bus seemed speechless. Then, just a few more feet ahead, we came across another accident. This one was quite a pile - up. Starting at the back, there was a minivan that had its front go under the back of a semi truck, then the semi truck with its back and front bent up, then a small Jeep Cherokee compacted in the middle, and another semi in front of the Jeep that had been crunched together in the back. It was awful to witness and I'm sure we only saw half of it since we heard some disturbing noises behind us when we first came to a stop after our pinball - like adventure. Most of the passengers on the bus were a bit impatient since they just wanted to go home and I did too, but I quickly realized how lucky we were after we passed the accident scenes. The accidents were only a few short feet in front of us, even though we couldn't see them from where we were due to the dense fog. I prayed for the individuals who were taken away by ambulance, in hopes that they were not fatally injured. We were in a small fender - bender and were restless, but not a lot of us kept in mind how the victims must have felt. We were very fortunate, and now, we are down in Pendleton, playing it safe. Our bus was delayed an hour this morning and then they decided not to go up since there had already been about 12 wrecks throughout last night and this morning. We too decided to play it safe and not drive up ourselves. That black ice/freezing fog is quite sneaky! Happy last posting day. I'm actually going to miss it; reading everyone's posts and writing my own. Bravo, everyone.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodnessl, how scary! Glad you are safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you made it home Katie! Cabbage Hill is really dangerous in the winter. :( I hope there were no fatalities last night and I am happy you two are okay! Have a nice, relaxing day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Katie, glad you guys are alright. I can see how sad you are to miss school today. :) I hope it clears up though so you don't have to miss tomorrow as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am relieved that everyone on the bus was okay and that it doesn't sound like the bus injured other people. What a scary event for all involved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very happy that you are and your husband are safe, but very disappointed that you won't be with me in class today! Enjoy your day off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow! What an adventure! Glad you are safe! I hope everyone else is too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds scary!! I'm really glad to hear you're alright!! I really hope the other people in the accidents were alright as well. Fog doesn't sound scary until you're in it and can't see in front of you. I'm so glad that the people on the bus were ok!!

    ReplyDelete